August 10, 2013

It's Time to Take Them to College - Go Ahead and Cry

Every August finds many parents in my age demographic taking their kids to college. As I reflect on taking my daughter Ryanne to Notre Dame last year, I can’t remember my parents having anything but joy in getting rid of me when I left for Wingate. I could almost hear them say, “Finally, some peace and quiet.” But for me, the anxiety in taking a child to college was worse than asking your dream girl out on a date; you don’t throw up, but you come pretty darn close.

I hope it gets easier for the second and third years, but everyone says, “It gets a little easier.” Is that like being “a little” pregnant? That must be code for it’s still hard as H@#$!

Last year I didn’t cry at any graduation events. And I didn’t even get emotional as she would easily exclaim, “this is the last time I will do ______ (fill in the blank).” I smiled through senior days for her sports teams, grad parties, award presentations and even graduation itself. I was as cool as the other side of the pillow. I may have gotten a little misty sitting in a rocking chair looking out over the ocean while on the family vacation, but that was probably the Makers Mark talking.
Last August I wrote a blog about taking her to school. http://ycam.blogspot.com/2012/08/im-not-on-twitter-but-if-i-was-these.html
I was pretty cool the entire time. I was in awe of the beauty of the school. I was making mental notes of certain quality things that I wish our Y team could implement. I thought about converting to Catholicism and I factored my odds in meeting the pope.  I was pretty cool until…..until I found myself standing beside the car and it was finally time to say goodbye.

I couldn’t breathe. I mean I stood there for what felt like the length of an Insurance Seminar and I couldn’t speak, move, or breathe. I wanted to tell her how proud I was of her and how she had surpassed all my dreams in 18 years, and I was paralyzed. I think April and I cried for at least an hour.
Be prepared. It is going to happen to you!
So here is my advice to all the parents taking their kids to college for their freshman year.

1.       Don’t even look at the other students. They all look 28 and your child looks 13.

2.       Enjoy your trip to college and reflect on the great vacations, awesome accomplishments and how wonderful they are.

3.       On Sunday or the day you finally leave, don’t be embarrassed about crying….every parent is crying. Maybe go Hollywood and wear your sunglasses all the time.

4.       And don’t beat yourself up over not being able to say how proud you are, THEY KNOW.

God speed, Go IRISH and Pass the Kleenex!

1 comment:

T Woods said...

Extremely timely Cam....thank you