February 13, 2017

GREAT LOVE SONGS

Three signs that I am getting old. First, a few weeks back I saw someone messing with my neighbor’s car while he was gone so I called the police. It turned out to be his friend playing a joke on him. My daughter Ryanne just laughed and said “Old Man!” Second, Saturday mornings are spent with a cup of coffee and watching my bird feeders and yelling at the squirrels. And third, when I drive I listen to talk radio.

I am not quite bad enough to be yelling at the kids to get out of my yard yet, but I may be getting close.

While driving recently, the talk radio show had a discussion on the best love songs. That is a hard question. Some songs remind you of that slow dance in middle school when you wanted the world to stop spinning and time stand still because it couldn’t get any more perfect. Kind of the Winnie Cooper and Kevin Arnold moment.

Then there is one of those dates in high school when the song comes on while you sit in her drive way and try and think of how you’re going to kiss her good night. When it happens and you get back to your car, and you really aren’t sure how you actually drive home.

Some songs bring back the memory of rewinding the cassette and playing that song over and over. You would just take roads and detours so you could play the song one more time.

And the songs that are some remote song on an album that elicit a sweet memory with your wife and only mean something to you and your bride. When it pops up on your play list the kids wonder why you start holding hands.

With all that, I wanted to list my top five (impossible) and then top ten (too difficult). So I settled on a top 40 (Too Many)…… but today I will share my top 20. Do you have any of the same?

20.   My Funny Valentine – Frank Sinatra
19.   One Hundred Ways – James Ingram
18.   The Closer I Get To You – Roberta Flack
17.   All of Me – John Legend
16.   Too Hot – Kool and the Gang
15.   After the Love is Gone – Earth Wind and Fire
14.   The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face – Roberta Flack
13.   God Only Knows – The Beach Boys
12.   You’re the First, The Last, My Everything – Barry White
11.   Back at One – Brian McKnight
10.   Let’s Get It On – Marvin Gaye
9.       Just Once – James Ingram
8.       The Way You Look Tonight – Tony Bennett
7.       You Don’t Know Me – Michael McDonald
6.       Your Song – Elton John
5.       Here and Now – Luther Vandross
4.       Endless Love – Luther Vandross / Lionel Ritchie
3.       Have I told You Lately – Van Morrison
2.       Always and Forever – Heatwave

1.       Our Love – Michael McDonald

No comments: