April 13, 2008

Read My Letter to the Editor of Sports Illustrated

I bet you think it concerns the swim suit issue but that will be another letter!

Dear Editor,

I couldn’t help but be inspired by the Lee Elder story. All of golf owes Mr. Elder a huge debt of gratitude. In 2006, Paul and Margaret Porter donated a wonderful 18 hole golf course to our YMCA. Shortly before Mr. Porter’s death in 2007, he and I stood out front of the Club House and watched a dozen African American girls from the YMCA Girls Club hit off the driving range. They were part of the Y’s First Tee program. He told me that watching those kids made him proud. I am positive that these young girls are the direct beneficiary of the bravery of people like Lee Elder. I get excited thinking that in the decades to come, the combination of the values taught by our First Tee program, the wonderful golf course from the Porters and the opportunity created by people like Lee Elder will allow these young girls to possibly open the wonderful sport of golf to other minorities. Lee Elder’s trailblazing will ripple on for generations to come.

Look for it to hopefully show up in future issues.

No comments: