April 11, 2010

15


I created a monster. About three years ago, I was trying to work in the yard but the kids kept bothering me. “I’m bored. There’s nothing to do,” they whined. April banished them from the house because there is only so much TV you can watch! “Dad, do something with us or take us to the Y!”

So I made up the game 15.

It wouldn’t be so bad except that I told them that I was the neighborhood champion. In fact in the summers all of the neighborhoods in Greenville got together and I won the Greenville “15” Championship too. In fact I was so good that I won the SC State Championship and was a hamstring pull from being in the 1983 Olympics. (There wasn't an '83 Olympics)

Do you think I laid it on a little too thick?

Well “15” takes a regulation baseball toss back and you take turns throwing a small kick ball off the back stop and trying to get the opponent to miss the ball. The first person to get 15 points loses. I shared with them the intricacies of the service point, the dink, the over head slam, and the skillful fake and let the ball go long play.

And I killed my kids at “15.” We would play one on one or as three and also we would coax April out and all four of us would play. I never lost. Trash talking, arguing, crying, turned ankles, scraped knees and hurt feelings…I’ve never lost.

Until last week. We all four were playing and they must have conspired to beat me because Ryanne would give Brooks nice soft bounces and Brooks would slam the unreturnable overhead slam. When I got to 10 I told them I knew what they were doing and they just giggled and denied any conspiracy.

I tried the divide and conquer. “Don’t let her do this to you Brooks. She knows the only way she can win is to eliminate me and then she will beat you!” That almost worked but MOM was still in the game and her cooler head brought them back to the goal….“BEAT ME.” So they did.

Today we painted lines in the driveway so some of the arguing about in or out would cease. I have beaten them both since my defeat. I am back on top. If you drive by the house check out the court. Maybe even play a match or two! And be cautious when the two siblings are being nice to each other!

No comments: