June 16, 2011

A Fight Between My Heart and My Head

Yesterday Ryanne came to me while I was working out and said, “Can we talk without you getting mad?” “Sure,” my heart said and then my mind chimed in, “Did you wreck your car?”

“No, but if now is not a good time we can talk later,” she added. “Honey, just spit it out,” smiled my heart. “I can’t kill you here, because there are too many witnesses,” laughed the brain.

Well the short story is that after she came out of volleyball camp, a small puppy came up to her and got under her car. An obviously neglected puppy, Ryanne found something to give it water in and the puppy just collapsed in her arms. It then somehow miraculously crawled into her car and managed to convince her to drive it home.

“Can we keep it dad? I named her Lucy. She is mostly Black Lab but she is a mutt. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow and I’ll pay for everything. This can be my dog and I will look after it. Can I keep her dad, can I please?”



Funny thing about heart and head arguments, very rarely is there a winner. But here is how the argument unfolded.

Heart: Lucy that is a cute name

Head: Give it a few months and then she will become Lucifer

Heart: If it has some Black Lab then the dog must be smart

Head: No telling the inbred gene pool this dog has spawned from. Don’t be surprised if it has a third ear.

Heart: But that puppy breath is so sweet.

Head: Puppy breath, don’t get the dog near your mouth, it probably has parvo.

Heart: I bet she’s athletic; she would be cool to be your running and hiking buddy

Head: Oh, that’s really fair to 14 year old Maxine and crazy hound dog Ellie

Heart: Max and Ellie will just love this puppy

Head: The puppy will drive old Max crazy and Crazy Ellie might eat it whole

Heart: Ryanne will be a good dog owner

Head: Wake up stupid. She’s going away to college in a year and you will be the dog owner

Heart: Cute, Cute, Cute, Cute, And Cute!

Head: One word – Hole Digger!

Heart: That’s two words

Head: You’re an idiot

Heart: Takes one to know one

Head: Your Mama

Heart: Your Daddy!


See what I mean? Who wins? Anybody want a dog? She’s a cutie!

No comments: