July 4, 2013

My Sports Mt Rushmore

Recently I had a discussion around my personal favorite sports stars. The question on sports radio was, who would be on your personal sports Mt Rushmore?

I have a scrap book I kept on Andre Dawson when I was in the 9th grade. I loved the Montreal Expos and he was their best player. When he left for the Cubs I finally got to watch him regularly on TV. He is now in the Hall of Fame.



 
Cal Ripken was on my other favorite baseball team, the Baltimore Orioles. I had VHS of the game where he broke Lou Gehrig's record for consecutive games played. I converted to DVD a few years back. Occasionally when I need to wax nostalgic, I break it out. He is in the Hall of Fame.

Pete Maravich was my first sports hero. I had a poster of him on my wall as a kid. The day he died, my brother called and told me to sit down and close my office door, because he knew I would be upset. I have the USA Today news articles in a box.

I am one of the few Detroit Lions fans (story for another day) Barry Sanders is their greatest all time player. He had some Thanksgiving games that were unbelievable.

Who is on your sports Mt Rushmore?
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's hard to find atheletes to truly look up to and "idolize" ... Too many of them have not been the "best of being role models." (It's always sad when you see great sports idols fall to drugs, abusing women, cheat on/in games, or even kill people (yes this has happened)... But it is almost expected that eventually these guys (and girls) end up making mistakes, like a normal human, that eliminate them from Mt Rushmore.

Any time you open the Sports page, it almost doesn't seem shockiing when you read stories about Hope Solo, Michael Vick, Lenny Dykstra, Pete Rose, Aaron Hernandez.... I could go on all day, but you get the picture

But here are a few who I still admire today -- long after their carreers in sports have ended .. Cal Ripken, Sugar Ray Leonard, Larry Bird, Joe Montana, Cam Corder, Arnold Palmer... All great men...

Hey listen, none of us are perfect ... but when you do the best you can for your family and friends - without hurting others, you've done God's work. At the end of the day, that's pretty damn good