June 27, 2015

The Parent Trap

My daughter has spent the last five months 12 time zones away. You would think that after five months she would be anxious to get home but now that she is back in the US, she has decided to spend a week on the left coast with her college roommate. So much for being daddy’s little girl.

Recently my son spent his first week after graduating high school at the bastion of sin and bacchanalia with 100,000 teen-age idiots in Myrtle Beach. I could only give him the, “don’t make the same mistakes I made” speech.

I recently reflected on my twenty-one plus years of parenthood and I realized there are a few things that I am sure of…

- The Grand Canyon never disappoints. It doesn’t matter how great people tell you it is, when you first set your eyes on the canyon, it takes your breath.
- Disney is the happiest place on earth until you get your credit card bill.
- And whether your child is 12 hours away, four hours away or just out for the evening, you worry about them.

And I thought letting them cry themselves to sleep the first time was tough.

No comments: