July 20, 2016

Y GIANT

Ironically, I sat around a table of friends this past week and prayed for a few of the people in my life that have impacted my Y career. Little did I know that soon one of those men, Bob Rule, would pass.
Bob Rule was a giant of a man. And that is not just hyperbole. He impacted thousands in his lengthy YMCA career. His loss is not just a loss for the High Point Y, but for the entire YMCA movement.

I was fortunate to have worked for him for 5 ½ years and we have shared a 30-year relationship. During that time Bob was not only my boss but also my mentor, friend and father figure. I owe so much of my career to his leadership. Here are a few things that I carry daily in my work that are truly the influence from Bob.


  • Always keep the Mission First. I read a quote this week that encapsulates Bob’s philosophy. “For some people, you may be the only bible they see.” He understood the Y’s ability to bring people closer to Christ.
  • Bob had a huge heart for the downtrodden and people that were hurting. He taught me early in my career to focus on the people who need the Y the most.
  • He had a clear vision that the YMCA could shape the future. He told me that the kids I worked with at camp and on the sports fields would grow up to be fathers, mothers, members, volunteers, board members, and donors. Never has that been more true than looking across the current leadership landscape in High Point and counting the leaders that participated as kids at the Y.
  • More than anything, Bob made sure that we should always laugh – especially at ourselves! He would always say something to me and I would gulp and think I was in trouble, there would be this long awkward pause and then he would burst out laughing.

Most days during my time in High Point, I would have lunch with the late Joe Miller, who was the long time property manager at the Y. Often our conversations would be about how cool Bob was. Joe said one day that Bob was “Cool Like Jazz.”

I have been in Cleveland County for 24 years, and if anyone in that community feels like myself or the Y has had an impact on their life, well they can draw a straight line back to Bob Rule.


He was a GIANT……No Hyperbole.

3 comments:

The Joyces said...

Hey brother. This is TJ up in Richmond. Well done my friend. And what great truths from Bob. Now you, I and others get to carry on that legacy. Godspeed. TJ

Tip said...

A great man who was always supportive and helpful.

Tip said...

A great man who was always supportive and helpful.