May 23, 2017

Next Time - A Note to Graduates

I recently had someone say, “Let’s have a windshield relationship, not a rear-view mirror relationship.” And that is my advice to every graduating high school senior.

When you think about it, CHANGE is one of the few constants in our lives. The reality of life is that we are in a constant state of flux and motion. From our first words spoken to the date where we glance out at the audience with diploma in hand, our lives have been an ebb and flow “Good-Bye” and “Hello.”

Good-Bye is often the first words taught to a child as they learn to waive at a parent going to work or a grand-parent leaving after a visit. But soon after, Hello became part of the new vocabulary. Thank goodness Hello often follows Good Bye. Good Bye Elementary School – Hello Middle School. Good Bye Middle School - Hello High School. Good Bye High School and Hello…Life.

This is where I think the wind shield metaphor resonates with me. If I could give the graduates some advice I would say this – Don’t use the words “If only.” “If only I would have studied harder. If only I would have asked her out. If only I would have listened to my parents. If only I would have said no to my friends.” When you get stuck into a world of “If Only,” that means you are stuck in the rear-view mirror. Then you allow for excuses and negativity to dictate your future success and failure.

Instead I would use the word “Next Time.” Next time I will study harder. Next time I will make sure I ask her out. Next time I will listen to my parents. Next time I will say no to my friends. Focusing on what to do next time is deciding to clear a path for a different future.

Every exit is also an entrance. You never walk out of one thing without walking into something else. You will walk away from high school saying goodbye to great friends, wonderful teachers and a special time in your life. But tomorrow awaits you, full of possibilities and hope. Hello future, next time is going to be awesome.

No comments: