March 2, 2008

My Daughters APGAR Score

My daughter turned 14 last week. On our way to her birthday dinner she was reading the classified ads to check out car prices. That is a sure sign of aging……hers and mine.

I knew she was special at birth. You know, I did the usual 10 finger 10 toes thing, but soon after her birth the doctor told me something much unexpected, “Your daughter had a perfect APGAR Score.” My wife tried to explain the APGAR score to me but what I heard was perfect. I knew that she was on her way to perfect SAT scores, entrance into Notre Dame Law School, and probably a future Nobel prize. That score was obviously an indicator to her recent Championship Middle School Basketball season where she was All Conference, All Tournament and her team’s MVP. (Is that considered bragging?)

Last week I also listened to a song by Steven Curtis Chapman called Cinderella. A modern day Cats in the Cradle song except it’s a father daughter song not a father son. I love the chorus:

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone.

It seems that every night at midnight she grows up. It starts with her tuning me out by listening to her ipod. It is also the quiet giggles and text messages between friends. I cherish the quiet times where she still wants to sit in my lap. This weekend we lay on the bed and watched the Tar Heels beat Boston College. I’ll take it any way I can.

Because I know something that the prince never knew. Midnight is coming fast!

No comments: