July 18, 2008

Wisdom and Knowledge for Y Staff

“Give me now wisdom and knowledge to go out and come in before this people, for who can govern this people of yours, which is so great?” (2 Chronicles 1:10)

Solomon must have felt so helpless by the calling God had set for him. It is normal for each of us to feel helpless about our leadership at times. As we contemplate the calling to nurture and advance our faith within our own spheres of leadership, most of our prayers should be asking to develop our leadership skills. We shall need much wisdom and knowledge from the Lord if we are to be successful in our leadership efforts.

But we should also note that Solomon’s desire for knowledge and wisdom was entirely selfless. He sought neither fame nor wealth by becoming knowledgeable and wise; rather, he sought the ability to judge the people of Israel well and according to the Law and promises of God. Solomon understood that knowledge is not an end in itself, nor is wisdom. Rather, these gifts of God, these essential components for being a leader, are to be received from God for the purpose of serving others.

I hope you will pray for me, that I gain wisdom and knowledge from God so that I can be the Servant Leader to each of you that God wants me to be. And I will pray for you that same prayer, and also pray that our work together makes God smile!

No comments: