December 10, 2008

3 Days of Introspection

I have spent the last 3 days at a meeting focused on looking at my leadership abilities. Throughout all of this introspection I realized something. I am not that deep. I am pretty normal (Some may say boring) I wish there was more depth and breadth or something that would be remotely interesting. Nope nothing is there!

But I did reflect about being on Facebook and Facebook has really allowed me to reflect and take stock of my life; my life in high school, my life in college and my work and my professional life. Reconnecting with people who in hindsight had such profound influences on me has been a tremendous experience. These are wonderful people whose memories are woven together into an awesome mosaic of my life’s fabric. I say mosaic but I guess the reality is maybe its just a nice shade of beige. These are wonderful people whose entrance and exit throughout my life have made me into the man I am today. Some people may not want to lay claim to that but facts are facts.

Our lives have reconnected and stay connected through the technology of the internet and the miracle of Facebook, but in reality the thread that ties us together has remained tethered to the deep regions of our memories. In reality, nothing can break the connection of our time together.

The Way It Is
There’s a thread you follow. It goes among things that change. But it doesn’t change.
People wonder about what you are pursuing. You have to explain about the thread.
But it is hard for others to see. While you hold it you can’t get lost.
Tragedies happen; people get hurt or die; and you suffer and get old.
Nothing you do can stop time’s unfolding. You don’t ever let go of the thread.
- William Stafford

No comments: