June 29, 2009

LISTEN FIRST

Don’t you hate when you will speak to someone and then after a few minutes they say, “Were you talking to me?” I know my wife hates when I do that! And it is funny how multiple eye witnesses can come up with the totally different reports on hair color, or make of car or clothing. Often times I may be introduced to someone and 5 seconds later I have forgotten their name!

At the Y, we have worked on a program called “Listen First” and that has helped me immensely. Not planning what I am going to say as response, but genuinely listening through the entire conversation. Often times when I am at my best I can pick up on a little thing that makes a huge impact. I learn about birthdays, anniversaries, who is sick, who they know, who they are related too and or who is …….just fill in the blank.

The other important aspect of paying better attention is that we learn when we listen. If we remain attentive, not only can we improve ourselves, but we can also avoid making the same mistakes as others.

I find that when I ask questions it keeps me focused on who I am with and paying better attention. My daughter was very inquisitive as a child and seemed to always be trying to figure something out. She is so smart today and I think her ability to pay attention is the reason that her school work comes so easy.

So let’s not sleepwalk through life like those others. Let’s keep our eyes open and be smart. 1 Thessalonians 5:6

I wonder how many times I have forgotten my listen first skills when interacting with God. I often ask for burning bushes or grandiose signs from God, but am I really paying attention to God’s voice?

God wants us paying attention so we can not only hear him but recognize the devil! I always understand when the devil speaks to me…..but it is usually after the fact. I am not paying attention. God’s call is all around us and often it is in the small and obvious things around me. When I am at my best is when I am in an operating mode that allows me to listen. Listen to God in what I see, who I speak with, what I read and what is on my heart. These are the times when I realize that God is leading me.

Take time in your prayer life to ask God to forgive the cycles of A.D.D. in your faith life. Ask for your attention to his promptings. Make sure you are on guard for the voices that pull you away from God.

“I am but a small pencil in the hand of God writing a love letter to the world.” Mother Teresa

No comments: