June 2, 2009

LOYALTY

I love some pretty crazy sports teams. I am embarrassed to say that I love the Detroit Lions, maybe the worst team in the NFL the last 20 years. I also love the Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, the Utah Jazz, all things Notre Dame and UNC Tar Heels. If it weren’t for my beloved Tar Heels my sports life would be close to miserable.

The fact that I love the Washington Nationals is funny to me. A few years back they were the Montreal Expos and that was the team I really loved. When Montreal lost its franchise I was heartbroken and I pledged to hate the Washington Nationals. But guess what happened the next spring training? Those players from the year before were still my favorite and I found myself watching box scores and pulling for them even though that was an exercise in futility.

I was still loyal to those players. However loyalty is more than just identification to those players, but the depth of the word comes into play when we add concepts such as devotion, duty, faithfulness, and commitment. It’s interesting that these virtues can be given to teams, people, organizations, governments, countries religions and God.

Loyalty is one of those foundational virtues that gets us through hard times. We can become great in the eyes of others, but we struggle finding success when we compromise our character and show disloyalty toward our peers and friends. At work, people have to know that they can count on you. When we know that there will be support in tight spots, we are more likely to go the extra mile. That combination makes for a cohesive unit or team.

So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us – 2 Thessalonians 2:15

I struggle with a younger generation that changes jobs frequently. I guess I am old school in that I believe in this reciprocal loyalty between employee and employer. It is too easy to leave a job, too easy to get divorced, too easy to ignore our kids attitudes, too easy to ignore our faith. God definitely wants old school loyalty of us. He thinks it’s cool to be old school.

Loyalty can be risky and hurt if it’s not reciprocated, but I would rather be on that side of the bruised ego or heart. Commit yourself through prayer and actions to be loyal to your family, to your peers, to your friends, your spouse and to those you have given your word. Offer God your devotion and loyalty. Carry out the responsibilities that he lays on your heart. Take strength in foundational loyalty and stand firm!

No comments: