September 29, 2016

Straight from the Rabbi

It is funny how God puts people in our lives just at the right time. I was having coffee recently with a friend of mine who is Jewish. We were discussing of course our anxiety with the cultural problems our society is facing and the challenges around creating open and honest dialogue.

During our talk, my friend said, “Let me tell you a Midrash.” 

A Midrash,” I replied? “Isn’t that something that I need to get a prescription for?” 

He just laughed. So my friend (I now call him my Rabbi) taught me a new word. A Midrash is a form of storytelling that explores ethics and values in biblical text. 

The story he told was..... 
“A group of workers is asked to do something quite difficult and complicated. 
They protest, ‘the day is short’; ‘the work is hard’; ‘the project is too big’; ‘we do not have the right tools’; ‘and, anyway, we are too tired’; ‘we will never finish this job!’ 

Their teacher replies, ‘it is not for you to finish the task, but…you must start the task.”

We will never solve the problems of tomorrow unless we start on them today. Are you ready? I am, and that is your Midrash for the day. Straight from the Rabbi!


Let's get to work. God Bless and Shalom!

No comments: