September 22, 2016

Then God Shows Up

I find myself over and over asking why and how? I bet many of us are struggling with that question with God. Yet I always find out that God constantly intervenes with us. 

I love the excerpt from John Eldridge’s book Wild at Heart.

“Then the Lord intervened” is perhaps the single most common phrase in Scripture. Look at the stories he writes, There’s the one where the children of Israel are pinned against the Red Sea, no way out, with Pharaoh and his army barreling down on them in a murderous fury. Then God shows up. There’s Shadrach, Meshach, and Abendego, who get rescued only after they’re thrown into the fiery furnace, and then God shows up. He lets the mob kill Jesus, bury him…then he shows up. Do you know why God loves writing such incredible stories? Because he loves to come through!

It strikes me as strange in that God always COMES THROUGH for us when we often doubt his authenticity or his existence or in this case his presence in our reality. But really…when has he not come through? I can’t stand that phrase “God never gives you more than you can handle.” Bull! For many people, this has been more than they can handle. For me it is just that through faith I have learned that I am able to hurdle the hurdles and God likes to come through.

He sent the freckled face little shepherd kid with a slingshot to fight Goliath, the trained killer. He cuts Gideon’s army down to nothing and then arms what’s left of the rag tag group with torches and water pots. He even got his message out to the human race by equipping a couple of prostitutes, a few fishermen with just an elementary education, and a tax collector. Then he passes the ball to us! (John Eldridge, Wild at Heart)

History proves that tragic events don't move people further from God, but CLOSER TO GOD. God shows up!!

No comments: