May 30, 2019

That's Good, That's Bad


There used to be this skit on the iconic TV Show HEE HAW. It was called “That’s Good, That’s Bad.” The skit would go something like this.

“I went on a plane ride today.” “That’s Good.”

“No That’s Bad. The plane had mechanical issues and started to crash.” “Oh, That’s Bad.”

“No, That’s Good. There was a parachute for me.” “That’s Good”

“No That’s Bad. The parachute didn’t open.” “That’s Bad”

And the skit would continue to go back and forth until it reached a punch line.

Sometimes it feels like life is a constant “That’s Good, That’s Bad.” Monday is a good day and then Tuesday goes sideways and it’s a bad day. Wednesday your team wins a big game and then Thursday the star player gets hurt. Friday you pay off your final credit card bill and celebrate and then Saturday you find out that you need a new AC unit.

“Hey look everybody, I got a promotion and I am the boss.” “That’s Good.”

“Nope, That’s Bad. There are a bunch of people mad and guess what? You’re the Boss so deal with it.” “Oh, That is Bad.”

Age and experience have proven that life is a roller coaster, full of ups and downs. Anticipation, exhilaration, fear – In the end you are thankful that you survived, and you just hope you didn’t pee on yourself. I have also learned that if I look around, my That’s Bads actually pale in comparison to real problems.

My personal challenge is to be equally thankful and grateful in the “That’s Goods and in the That’s Bads.” Virginia’s National Championship Basketball Coach, Tony Bennett, said recently, “As a team we are committed to remain equally Faithful in the wins and in the losses.”

I am learning that what can be the BEST part of my job, can also be the WORST part of my job. What can be the best part of my day can quickly turn into the worst part of my day. What feels like a huge win often balances out with a big loss. But that old sage  Darrell Corder would say to me, “What doesn’t kill you just makes you stronger.” In other words, learn from it, shut up and move on.

And more importantly Give Praise and Be Thankful. THAT’S GOOD.

No comments: