May 14, 2019

WHAT MY PEEPS ARE TEACHING ME ABOUT LEADERSHIP


Millennials or Generation Z, I am not sure what you call them. All I know is that working with them is kind of like negotiating with a terrorist – you should never show fear or weakness.

That line always makes me laugh and makes the young people on my staff roll their eyes.

Actually, I like “Hanging” with the young folks. Can I use the term “Hanging?” Does that make me sound old?

You have to worry about stuff like that. Making the wrong gesture, phrase or un-trendy statement will get you ridiculed. For a group that doesn’t like bullying, show them any weakness and they will pounce on you faster than a cheetah on an antelope with sore feet.

I took a few staff to lunch the other day and the XM radio station was playing my 80’s music – the soundtrack to my high school years. They laughed and cackled at the music. They never knew that Chicago and Boston were bands not just major cities. I almost ran off the road when they questioned, “What are the Commodores?”

My goodness, what is the world coming too. I have one goal, teach them about good music!

There are probably many things I could teach them. But as I reflect on our times together, I realize that they have been teaching me. They are so far beyond me at 25 its crazy. And at 25 I knew everything or at least thought I did. #CoachingUp

Life humbled me as it will humble them. One of my father’s friends told me once, that life has a way of bringing you back to reality every 90 days and that has been so true. I’ve learned not to let the highs be too high and the lows be too low.

With these staff, I have never texted so much in my life. I am an email guy but all of a sudden, I catch myself in the middle of a group text. My phone going BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ. Finally, I jump in and text, “how do you do the little picture thingy’s (GIF which I pronounce G I F just to annoy them)?”

Nothing beats a face to face meal where you can just laugh and be real. And I believe that everyone loves the hand written note, but this crowd will text you a thank you or text about a great day in a heart-beat. And I love it! Thank goodness I have learned how to “emoji!” (Is that a verb?) #GetWithItDude

One night I sat holding my silent phone wondering why they weren’t texting me. Are they texting each other and leaving me out on purpose? Had I made them mad? I felt 15 years old again waiting for some girl to call me back.

This crowd has no fear. They want to conquer the world and they probably will. As “old farts” we joke about how they all want to be the boss at 25 without paying their dues, but I would rather have a staff person that I am pulling the reigns back yelling “SLOW DOWN” than trying to drag someone along with me. The smarter ones understand the need for humility. I had one young staff person who applied for another job in his first 30 days on the job. As parents, bosses and mentors, often you have to let people fail. Several years ago, we had a sharp young guy with a bright future in the Y. He left to be an executive of another non-profit. I tried to tell him to be patient, but he would not listen. 12 months later he was out of a job. A bright future extinguished by over confidence and impatience.

On the flip side, I love that their hand goes up high asking for more responsibility or to lead a new initiative. “Hey old man, get out of my way. I will do that for you.” #NoFear

I have found one sure fire way to stoke the fire within the young staff – have fun! Work for them is like the constant 5th grade field trip. They are always walking the hall ways, “Hey, we’re going to Starbucks, want anything?” “Time for a run on chicken nuggets – want to come with us?” “We are going to work outside in the sun. Its such a beautiful day!”

20 minutes later I will get some random selfie picture of the group playing. And I struggle to get my selfie stick out to send a response – It is just not the same.

A great day is when you can get one to laugh so hard that the milk shake comes out their nose! #FUN

I love this old Tom T Hall song, That’s How I got to Memphis. The song is not about Memphis. Memphis is really if you love wherever you are and whoever you are with – that’s your Memphis. These “Whipper Snappers” are all about family. They bring in strays, they adopt people and they fight to the death for their family. They demand loyalty and if you are loyal to them then they will be loyal to you. I like the family concept because we have to be able to fight and argue and still be family. Often times family is tough and troubled, but it is still family. And in the end, I know I am in the right place at the right time with the right people – My Memphis! #FAMILY

Probably the greatest gift that the young staff have given me is the belief that you can lead with LOVE. I think it is more than just telling a staff that you love them, which I try to do, but it is about showing them. Kind of like learning the “Love Languages” of 30 people. Who needs acts of service, or words of affirmation? I catch myself re-hashing earlier conversations and wondering if I should send the gift card. Who did I forget to ask for lunch? I need to add that to my job description – LOVE YOUR PEOPLE!

“My Cup Runneth Over” from their love. Nothing beats walking in your office and having a sticky note on your lap top. Sometimes I feel like the cool kid when they invite me to lunch. Even if they only invite me because they know I will pay, that is OK by me. #LOVE

Our lives are just a story. I have learned to not only share my story but listen to their story. My dream, my goal, my strategic imperative – however I can describe it – I want to impact the story of their life in a way that somehow gets me a mention in their life’s appendix or footnotes. This “young family” of mine has me re-writing my own story. How grateful I am to be a part of theirs and how awesome it is to share how our stories have blended together.

I hope that a few of them continue to let me feel like I am part of the cool crowd. I know they will continue to inspire me with their passion and love for the mission of our work and for each other. I hope they continue to believe that they can change the world. I believe it. I hope they know that I am proud of them and I wish I could tell them how much I love them!

I think I will text them an EMOJI - BIG HEART! #FISTTOHEART

WHAT YOU HAVE TAUGHT ME
1.   Be Brave
2.   Have Fun
3.   Be Family
4.   Serve with Love
5.   Be a Part of a Bigger Story

No comments: