November 16, 2008

Futility

I am embarrassed to say that my favorite NFL football team is the Detroit Lions. I watched them today lose to the Panthers. They are now 0 – 10 and on course to be the first team to lose every game in a single season.

Being a Lions fan draws me to a line in one of my favorite all time movies, Plains, Trains and Automobiles. Recently I keep relating to this quote in the movie by the character played by Steve Martin. He and John Candy have been stuck in this hotel together and of course John Candy is driving Steve Martin crazy.

“I could tolerate any insurance seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say, "'Cause I've been with Del Griffith. I can take ANYTHING." You know what they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean, the shower curtain ring guy. Woah."

So, don’t complain about your sports team around me because I will just say, “I am a Detroit Lions fan.” And then you will say, “Oh, I know what you mean. The Detroit Lions Whoa.”

They play on Thanksgiving day against the undefeated Tennessee Titans. Do I smell an upset? No, that is just my 11 year old son's feet!

No comments: