May 7, 2009

Enthusiasm

I cringe when I hear people talk about hating their job. These people get out of bed saying, “Good Lord it’s morning” versus “Good morning Lord.” That puts them at a distinct disadvantage, because I truly believe that you have to enjoy what you do in order to succeed.

I know there always days where you are less productive than other days. If you are like me you have to force yourself on some level to accomplish your daily goals. I can’t imagine every day being like that. Because for most days I am enthusiastic about coming to work and I strive to be better today than yesterday.

When I look back over my career I find that things that excite me the most are challenges. I can empathize with those who mope around and wonder why only bad things happen to them, but I love challenges. When we have been short staffed, incurred financial challenges, relationship problems and leadership dilemmas…I just enjoy taking them “head-on!”

When my brother died I guess I moped around for about two weeks when finally I just had to make myself snap out of it. I can remember thinking to myself how I was letting people down. My family, my staff and my Y needed me to lead and I had to get with the program. The end result was basically I was the only one that I had to find the enthusiasm again!!!

Enthusiasm stimulates the people around you. Extreme highs do not work but consistent and sincere enjoyment of your work motivates your peers and your employees. It exudes confidence and rubs off in miraculous ways.

Never be lazy in your work, but serve the Lord enthusiastically (Romans 12:11)

Back in the early stages of the Y, we had two college kids that worked afternoons at the Y with our sports programs. They would roll into the Y around 2pm all full of teenage life and fun and try and mesh their energy and enthusiasm with what would sometimes be stress and anxiety. At first it was a clash, but after awhile, our office conformed to their positive energy and we looked forward to their enthusiasm.

Let us all serve God by loving our job and working with enthusiasm. Let that passion rub off on all that come in contact with us. Become all that you can be and all that GOD intended you to be by waking up saying “GOOD MORNING LORD.”

No comments: