May 25, 2009

COOPERATION

John Wooden says, “With all levels of your co-workers – listen if you want to be heard and be interested in finding the best way, not in having your own way.”

Some people just like to work alone. I know there are many jobs out there that require such isolation: writers, scientists, painters, etc. But for me, I love the dynamic of a group or a team. Working with others helps me reach my potential much more than I can do alone.

I love the story of the young farmer who was working a team of mules, attempting to pull a load up a steep road. The young farmer was loud and abusive. Constantly screaming, slapping and barking demands at the mules. The results were hyper and agitated mules who were working against each other. With a gentle voice and a gentler touch the old farmer stepped forward, calmed the mules and walked them forward. The mules cooperated and could do much more as a team.

The two lessons are a 1) Gentleness is a better method of getting cooperation than harshness is (I still haven’t mastered this) 2) A team can accomplish much more together than an individual can do alone.

That is why I love collaborations and partnerships. I love when synergy is created and resources are maximized. I love when a group of people work together and do an awesome job on a project.
Two people can accomplish more than twice as much as one; they get a better return for their labor – Ecclesiastes 4:9

Paul writes about the use of our spiritual gifts and notes more than 20 spiritual gifts in the scriptures. Every believer is given at least one spiritual gift and probably more. Problems arise on our teams when we do not use our spiritual gifts. The team suffers and we are not as effective. It is up to our peers to keep us accountable to the team. To ensure that we are woven tightly into the success goals of the group and that we are optimizing our gifts for the team.

Everyone has an innate desire to be in a relationship and to be in a group. Be willing to cooperate with each other for the good of the team. Maximize your personal potential by utilizing your spiritual gifts for the good of the team and the glory of God.

2 comments:

Stetson in Stilettos said...

Love it...I will use this at our next staff meeting. It was going to be on spiritual gifts anyway.

Stetson in Stilettos said...

Love this. I will use it at our next staff meeting. It was going to be on spiritual gifts anyway!